Tuesday, January 20, 2009

RANTING! AND RAVING!

Please allow me to start this post by saying if you are a raging racist, you need not read any further. I will probably say some things that will offend you.



I will also start by saying that I did not personally vote for President Obama. I am not a Democrat, therefore I voted on the conservative side.



Having said that - I pose a question: Why must some people be SO small-minded that they cannot see past the man's color? All day today I have heard many crude and racist comments directed toward the First Family. Things that I will not repeat for fear that someone may scan quickly through this post and think that I would EVEN DARE to say such hateful and ridiculous things. Personally I thought President Obama's speech was moving. I felt blessed to be able to watch something so historical & amazing. For the first time in our nation's history a black man took the oath of office for President. I was moved to tears when I watched the clips of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I have a dream" speech. One particular person being interviewed this morning said that she woke her small children up the morning after the election and told them that while they were sleeping Martin Luther King's dream came true. I was so touched by that. But unfortunately some people can't seem to grasp the fact that the Civil Rights Movement was a GOOD THING!! Dr. King said that his dream was for every man to be judged NOT by the color of his skin, but by the content of his character. Unfortunately I didn't see that today. I saw far too many people judging President Obama ONLY by the color of his skin. I would hope that if someone didnt vote for Obama it was because they didn't agree with his views (i.e. the content of his character.) Not just because he is a black man. I'm not saying that everyone should like him, but I AM saying that I think everyone should respect him. Personally, I would have voted for a purple-polka-dotted man had he been that candidate that I shared the same views with. I am just disgusted by some things I have heard said today. I hope that the people who are so judgemental realize that they too will be judged one day, and the Good Lord does not care what color we are.

I have high hopes for the new President. I have hope that he can pull our country out of this economic crisis. I have hope that he will bring change to America. And even though I didn't vote for him, I'm proud of him.

PS - If I hear someone say one more time that the Bible says the Anti-Christ will be Muslim, I'm going to scream. It doesn't say that. If someone out there can show me the Bible verse that says that, PLEASE, by all means - send it to me. I am not claiming to be a Bible scholar by ANY means. But I'm 99% sure that the Islam religion wasn't even in existence when the Bible was written. But PLEASE feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

2 comments:

  1. Very well said! Like you, I did not vote for President Obama because Mr. McCain's views were more in line with mine. That isn't to say that there weren't some things I agreed with Mr. Obama on, but overall, I felt McCain's views matched mine more closely.

    John and I were talking last night, and we both agree that we hope and pray that Pres. Obama can get the economics of our country on better footing, he brings the soldiers home, etc.

    Like him or not, he is our president, and I believe we much respect him and the office.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just say I love you for writing this?

    ReplyDelete